Vittore Carpaccio 
Venezia, San Giorgio agli Schiavoni "Il ciclo della Scuola Dalmata"
(circa 1465 – 1526)
Testi di Roberto Marini - Foto di Bruno Balestrini


 

E-mail

 

 

.

Saint George degli Schiavoni and the Cycle of the Dalmatian School of Vittore Carpaccio (about 1465-1526)

The flourishing Dalmatian community resident in Venice obtained permission to build its own brotherhood, with the "school" as its physical and symbolic meeting place, thanks to a decree issued by the Council of Ten on the 19th May, 1451. Initially placed in the Hospice of St. Catherine, the School was rebuilt in 1551 by Giovanni De Zan, guardian of the Arsenal and a pupil of Sansovino. The two ordered facade, crowned by a tabernacle with an octagonal window, displays the serene Sansovinian composition, as well as the ceiling of the lower hall with its tempera-painted rafters which recalls the Sansovino style, interrupted only by an original assymetricity between the two windows on either side of the doorway, one mullioned and the other square. Centrally, above the door, appear two marble altar-pieces. The upper one dates back to the 15th century and represents the Virgin Mary and Child and St. John the Baptist presenting a brother to St.Catherine, painted by an unknown artist ,and supposedly belonged to the old School. The lower one, dating back to 1552,  is the work of Pietro di Salò and shows St. George in the act of killing the dragon, a painting which displays similar characteristics to those painted by Carpaccio.
A fortunate peculiarity of the School of St.George degli Schiavoni is that it survived the fall of the Venetian Republic, which had abolished all schools and the appropriation of their wealth, including their works of art. Therefore, a visit to the building reveals one of the best conserved and authentic interiors in Venice and the refined semplicity of the Renaissance Venetian house adds an even greater charm to the canvasses created by Vittorio Carpaccio between 1502 and 1507 which constitute the main interest of the School. It is obvious why John Ruskin in his long search for lost atmospheres remained particularly fascinated by the School and by Carpaccio himself to whom he dedicated some of his more enthusiastic pages. In front of the "Triumph of Saint George" , he invited the viewers to use binoculars to better admire the "supreme, serene, sincere, and firm sweetness of the perfect pictorial art".

The richness of the narrative, allegoric, architectonic and landscape details in this cycle dedicated to the saints George, Jerome and Trifone merits  patient attention and good eyesight. The Dalmatian brotherhood probably commissioned Carpaccio to paint these new canvasses without giving him any other indication apart from that of narrating some episodes in the life of the three saints, particularly worshipped in Dalmatia, leaving him free to choose the themes and sources of inspiration; this allowed the artist to free himself from the canons of traditional agiography still to be found in the work of his teacher, Giovanni Bellini, whose paintings displayed a medeoval character, to follow the narrative which resembled a Renaissance story-writer, made up of popular legends, (the Golden Legend, for Saint George and Saint Jerome), of a humanistic culture such as in the Vision of Saint Augustine, of the love for his Venice, and of painting as a means of self-search. In the famous cycle of Saint Ursula, Carpaccio had already demonstrated great autonomy ("sentimental independence" as well as "supreme epic indifference", according to Longhi) in the construction of his stories on the canvas, ranging from the fairy-tale landcape to that of a precise architectinic referral, as well as an abundance of details which recall the analytic Flemish paintings, made known to Carpaccio at that time by his probable inspirator, Antonello da Messina. It is of general opinion that Carpaccio did not follow any teacher but had the good fortune to live at a particularly fruitful moment in Venetian painting, rich in diverse contributions and new influences, always remaining true to himself and therefore absolutely original.

San Giorgio agli Schiavoni e il ciclo della Scuola Dalmata di Vittore Carpaccio (circa 1465 - 1526)

La consistente comunità dalmata residente a Venezia ottenne l’autorizzazione a costituire la propria confraternita, con la “scuola” come luogo fisico e simbolico di aggregazione, grazie a un decreto del Consiglio dei Dieci del 19 maggio 1451. Collocata inizialmente negli spazi dell’ospizio di S. Caterina, la scuola fu ricostruita nel 1551 a opera di Giovanni De Zan, proto dell’Arsenale e allievo del Sansovino. La facciata a due ordini, coronata da un’edicola con finestra ottagonale, ha infatti una serena compostezza sansoviniana (e anche il soffitto della sala inferiore, con travi dipinte a tempera, ricorda lo stile del Sansovino), interrotta solo dall’originale asimmetricità tra le due finestre ai lati del portale: una a bifora, l’altra squadrata. In posizione centrale, sopra la porta, appaiono due pale marmoree. Quella superiore è del XV secolo e rappresenta la Madonna col Bambino e S. Giovanni Battista che presenta un confratello a S. Caterina; di autore ignoto, doveva appartenere alla Scuola più antica. Quella inferiore risale al 1552, opera di Pietro di Salò, e mostra un S. Giorgio nell’atto di uccidere il drago che ha molti tratti in comune col dipinto del Carpaccio.
Una fortunata peculiarità della Scuola degli Schiavoni è quella di essere sopravvissuta alla caduta della Repubblica veneziana, che aveva comportato l’abolizione di tutte le scuole e l’avocazione dei loro beni, opere d’arte comprese. Visitandola, perciò, ci si trova in uno degli interni meglio conservati e autentici di Venezia, e la raffinata semplicità della casa veneziana del Rinascimento conferisce un fascino ancora maggiore ai teleri realizzati da Vittore Carpaccio tra il 1502 e il 1507, che costituiscono il maggior motivo d’interesse della Scuola. Non è un caso che John Ruskin, nella sua lunga ricerca di atmosfere perdute, sia rimasto particolarmente affascinato dalla Scuola e dal Carpaccio e vi abbia dedicato alcune delle sue pagine più entusiaste. Di fronte al Trionfo di San Giorgio invitava a servirsi di un binocolo per meglio ammirare la “suprema, serena, sincera, sicura dolcezza della perfetta arte pittorica.” E in realtà la ricchezza di particolari narrativi, allegorici, architettonici e paesaggistici del ciclo dedicato ai santi Giorgio, Gerolamo e Trifone merita un’attenzione paziente e richiede una vista acuta.
La confraternita dalmata avrebbe commissionato a Carpaccio le nove tele senza dare altra indicazione se non quella di narrare degli episodi le vite di quei tre santi, particolarmente venerati in Dalmazia, lasciandolo libero di scegliere i temi e le fonti cui ispirarsi; questo ha permesso all’artista di svincolarsi dai canoni dell’agiografia tradizionale, ancora visibile nell’opera del suo maestro Giovanni Bellini in cui permaneva un sentimento religioso di natura medioevale, per ricorrere a una narrazione che sa di novellistica rinascimentale, fatta di leggende popolari (la Legenda aurea, per San Giorgio e San Gerolamo), di cultura umanistica come nella Visione di Sant’Agostino, di amore per la sua Venezia, e di pittura come ricerca in sé. D’altra parte, già nel celebre ciclo di Sant’Orsola Carpaccio aveva dimostrato una grande autonomia (“indipendenza sentimentale” e anche “suprema indifferenza epica”, secondo Longhi) nella costruzione dei suoi racconti su tela, con ambientazioni da un lato fiabesche e dall’altro ricche di precisi riferimenti architettonici, e con un’abbondanza di particolari che ricordava la pittura analitica dei fiamminghi fatta conoscere, in quegli anni, da quello che forse era un ispiratore di Carpaccio, Antonello da Messina. È opinione diffusa, comunque, che Carpaccio non abbia avuto maestri da seguire, ma la fortuna di vivere in un momento particolarmente fecondo della pittura veneziana, ricco di apporti diversi e di influenze nuove; e che sia rimasto sempre fedele a se stesso, e così assolutamente originale.

Download complete Text Pdf