Conte Jacopo Cicogna Mozzoni
Visite guidate su appuntamento (francese, inglese, tedesco)
Established in 1463 as a hunting lodge of the
Mozzoni family, it was subsequently embellished and completed in 1559 with
fresco wall paintings by the Campi brothers from Cremona and their disciples. In
1476 the life of Galeazzo Maria Sforza, Duke of Milan, while staying as guest of
the family, was saved by Agostino Mozzoni and his dog from the onslaught of a
bear. Such brave act earned favours and fortunes to the family. The garden was
established by Ascanio Mozzoni, a man of great culture who from his travels
brought back cues for the arrangement of his garden over seven levels. In 1580
his only daughter was married to Giovan Pietro Cicogna through whose descendants
we arrive at today's owners.
The most pleasant characteristic of the Villa is its merging with the garden. Almost as if nature through its vineyard sprouts and flower wreaths intended to invade the fresco painted ceiling of the porticoes. One can admire the two-flight stairway with a brook running in-between which leads directly to the halls of the Villa and also enjoy from above the sight of the beautiful panorama. The walled-in garden is a typical example of formal Italian garden with box hedges, water basins, fountains and a grotto with remarkable waterworks. Climbing towards the belvedere a more naturalistic romantic park follows. A guide accompanies visitors through the apartments with fresco painted walls on the first floor containing pieces of furniture, household furnishings and paintings stemming from various ages.