Via Goffredo Mameli

Fontana del Prigione

 

Villa Montalto, owned by Sisto V Peretti (1585-1590) and found on the Esquilino hill, was the largest private property within the city walls. At the end of the nineteenth century, precisely in 1877, the whole area was divided up to build the Termini railway station, piazza dei Cinquecento and other modern districts.
The only fountain left after the destruction of the villa, also a work by Domenico Fontana, was constructed in 1938 on the slopes of the Gianicolo are an apt background for via Manara.
Today the fountain has a large niche surrounded by two pilaster strips with an over-hanging, richly decorated frontal-piece at the centre of which water flows from a lion’s head to be collected in a basin protected by six small columns. The statue of a prisoner that gave its name to the fountain has been lost.

La villa Montalto, possedimento di Sisto V Peretti (1585-1590) sito sul colle dell'Esquilino era la più estesa proprietà privata presente entro le mura cittadine, ma a fine Ottocento, precisamente nel 1877,  l'intera area venne lottizzata per realizzare la stazione Termini, piazza dei Cinquecento e altri quartieri moderni.
L'unica fontana sopravvissuta alla distruzione della villa, opera anch'essa di Domenico Fontana è stata ricostruita nel 1938 sulle pendici del Gianicolo a fare da sfondo a via Manara.
La fontana presenta oggi una grande nicchia (delimitata da due lesene e sovrastata da un frontaone riccamente decorato) al centro della quale l'acqua sgorga da una testa leonina per raccogliersi a terra in un bacino protetto da sei colonnine. La statua del prigioniero che ha dato nome a questa fontana nel tempo è andata perduta.