Piazza Trilussa

Fontana della Piazza

 

The large travertine fountain of the Sisto bridge (show-fountain of the Paola waters) was constructed in 1613 for Paolo V Borghese (1605-1621) by Giovanni Vasanzio (the Flemish Van Zanten). It was originally placed at the end of the elegant Via Giulia near the Ospizio dei Mendicanti, now in piazza Trilussa, an isolated building next to the Sisto bridge.
Two Ionic columns on either side of a wide niche with their barrel vaults support an architrave on which rests a commemorative epigraph. The Borghese coat of arms dominates everything. Abundant water flows from an opening in the side part of the niche and falls into a shell from which it then flows loudly into a basin at street level. Two dragons carved in the base of the columns spurt water into the bath, as do two lion’s heads. Six, red granite columns are united by means of an iron structure that protects the fountain, moved in 1879 when it was decided to widen the bed of the Tiber and build the left bank, only to be rebuilt at the end of the nineteenth century. It was then raised about fifteen steps above street level in order to make it more visible from the Sisto Bridge.


Il fontanone di ponte Sisto (fontana-mostra dell'acqua Paola) realizzato in travertino da Giovanni Vasanzio (il fiammingo Van Zanten) nel 1613, per volere di Paolo V Borghese (1605-1621), e originariamente collocato in fondo all'elegante via Giulia, a ridosso dell'Ospizio dei Mendicanti, è oggi in piazza Trilussa, come edificio a sé posto in asse con il ponte Sisto.
Due colonne ioniche poste ai lati di un'ampia nicchia dalla volta a botte sorreggono un'architrave al di sopra della quale è posta un'epigrafe commemorativa. Lo stemma dei Borghese sovrasta il tutto. Da una apertura tagliata nella parte alata della nicchia sgorga abbondante acqua che ricade in una prima conca da cui precipita con fragore nella vasca posta a livello della strada. Anche due draghi scolpiti nei basamenti delle colonne gettano acqua nella vasca come fanno due teste leonine. Sei colonnine di granito rosso collegate mediante una struttura in ferro proteggono la fontana che, spostata nel 1879 quando venne deciso di allargare il letto del Tevere e realizzare il lungotevere di sinistra, venne ricostruita a fine Ottocento. Allora venne sopraelevata di una qundicina di gradini sul livello stradale per renderla più visibile dal ponte Sisto.