Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere

Fontana della Piazza

 

According to tradition this is probably the oldest monumental fountain in Rome. It appeared in a map of the city in 1471 by Pietro de Massaio. The church of Santa Maria in Trastevere was originally known as Sancta Maria in fontibus. It is thought that the 1471 fountain, in the centre of which is a polygon-shaped basin placed on a base where two basins, one on top of another stand on balusters, was a restoration of a much older one. The couplet epigram inscribed on the plaque on one corner of the fountain dates back to the end of the fifteenth century thanks to a restoration by Cardinal Lopez (lupus).
The life of this fountain, the only one found in a poor district, was marked by the lack of a continual and rich supply of water. Alessandro VII Chigi (1655-1667) finally increased their water supply from 5 to 36 ounces and moved the fountain to the centre of the square.
The work was entrusted to Bernini in 1659. The upper part of the monument was not modified but the octagonal basin in the lower part was raised on steps and four double shells, then facing externally, the Chigi coats of arms and inscriptions to recall the restoration. But about thirty years later in 1692 Pope Innocenzo XII had it cleaned, probably increasing the capacity of the basin and moving the shells so that they faced inwards, almost as it to protect them. Finally, in 1873, the Municipality of Rome totally re-built the fountain in bardiglio marble instead of travertine but copying that of 1692.

Secondo la tradizione questa sarebbe la più antica tra le fontane monumentali di Roma, compare infatti in una pianta della città del 1471 dovuta a Pietro del Massaio. La chiesa di Santa Maria in Trastevere fu detta anticamente Sancta Maria in fontibus e dunque si può pensare che la fontana del 1471  in cui al centro di una vasca poligonale posta su un basamento si ergono su balaustri due catini sovrapposti fosse il rifacimento di una ben più antica. A un restauro effettuato a fine Quattrocento dal cardinale Lopez (lupus) si deve l'epigramma in distici inciso sulla lapide apposta a un angolo della fontana.
La vita di questa fontana, l'unica situata in un quartiere povero, fu contrassegnata dalla mancanza di una continua e ricca offerta d'acqua. Fu Alessandro VII Chigi (1655-1667) che finalmente le fornì 36 once d'acqua (invece di 5) e la fece spostare al centro della piazza; i lavori furoni affidati al Bernini (1659): la parte superiore del monumento non fu modificata, mentre quella inferiore, cioè la vasca ottagonale, fu innalzata su alcuni gradini, vennero aggiunte le quattro doppie conchiglie (allora rivolte verso l'esterno), gli stemmi del Chigi e iscrizioni a ricordo del restauro. Ma già una trentina di anni più tardi (1692) il pontefice Innocenzo XII dovette procedere una lavori straordinari di ripulitura nel corso dei quali venne probabilmente ampliata la capacità della vasca e le doppie conchiglie furono rivolte verso la vasca quasi a proteggerla. Infine, nel 1873, il Comune di Roma ricostruì totalmente la fontana in marmo bardiglio anziché in travertino, ma sull'esatto modello del 1692.