Piazza San Bernardo

Fontana del MosŤ

 

This show-fountain of the Felice waters, so-called to honour Pope Sisto V ( Felice Peretti), who restored the aqueduct of the Alessandrina waters, is the work of the brothers Giovanni and Domenico Fontana in 1587. It was built in travertine with three large niches emphasised by four, symmetrically placed Ionic columns with four Egyptian lions, two in white marble and two in dark.
At the inauguration in 1587 the heavy statue of Moses, more than four metres tall, had not yet been placed in the central niche of the fountain. The lateral niches contain the statues of Aronne and Gideon.
The frontice-piece holds the papal coat of arms whilst protecting the basins is an imposing baluster from a building erected by Pious IV as the inscription present indicates.

Questa fontana-mostra dell'acqua Felice (acqua cosž chiamata in onore di papa Sisto V, al secolo Felice Peretti, che ripristinÚ l'acquedotto dell'acqua Alessandrina) Ť opera del 1587 dei fratelli Giovanni e Domenico Fontana. Costruita in travertino essa presenta tre grandi nicchie scandite da quattro colonne ioniche poste in simmetria con quattro leoni egizi, due di marmo bianco e due di marmo scuro.
Al momento dell'inaugurazione, nel giugno del 1587, la massiccia statua del MosŤ, alta oltre quattro metri, non era ancora stata posta nella nicchia centrale della fontana. Nelle nicchie laterali trovano posto le statue raffiguarnti Aronne e Gedeone.
Nel frontespizio Ť presente lo stemma papale, mentre a protezione della vasche Ť una imponente balaustra proveniente, come dimostra l'iscrizione presente su di essa da un edificio eretto da Pio IV.