Piazza Sant'Andrea della Valle

Fontana della Piazza

 

The fountain with its classical motifs was built for Pope Paolo V. Borghese (1605-1621) to stand in the square in front of the church of Santa Maria in Trasportina, following the plans of the architect, Carlo Maderno. It consists of an elegant basin placed on a base that follows the same line. In the centre of the basin placed on a base decorated with dragons and eagles, the Borghese symbols, is a circular basin, built in cement today that reproduces the original marble one that was destroyed. A jet of water rises from the higher basin and falls into the lower one where there are four more jets just above the water.

Voluta da papa Paolo V Borghese (1605-1621) per la piazza della chiesa di Santa Maria in Traspontina, la fontana realizzata su progetto dell'architetto Carlo Maderno riprende motivi classici: costituita da un'elegante vasca mistilinea, appoggiata su un basamento che ne riprende la forma. Al centro della vasca, sorretto da un basamento decorato con draghi e aquile (simbolo dei Borghese) un catino circolare, oggi in cemento, che riproduce l'originale in marmo purtroppo perduto. Un getto d'acqua, si innalza sul catino per ricadere nella vasca sottostante ove, dal pelo dell'acqua, si innalzano quattro getti d'acqua.