INDICE DEI MUSEI

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

tratto da: "nuovo dizionario geografico universale" - Opera Originale Italiana di una società di dotti - Venezia 1828
 
 

remota antichità, essendo stata consacrata da s. Ambrogio. Fu più volte ristaurata, finché nel 1423 ridotta in cenere per un incendio, Cosimo de'Medici ne commise al Brunellesco la riedificazione nel modo attuale. E' tutta di macigno, e contiene pregiatissimi oggetti di belle arti. E' lunga braccia 144, e larga 36, ed ha tre navate ognuna di 60 braccia di lunghezza.

Unita a questa chiesa sta la cappella detta dei Depositi, ove erano le ceneri dei sovrani medicei, ora depositate nei sotterranei. E' di architettura di Michel Angelo, e sono pur di sua mano le sublimi e maravigliose statue che l'adornano. Il gran ducato Ferdinando III, di sempre adorata memoria, è quivi sepolto, per essere poi trasportato nella celebre cappella medicea, che si sta adesso terminando, situata dietro al coro, e che per la sua magnificenza e ricchezza può dirsi non avere l'eguale. E' tutta, incrostata di pietre dure ed oltre il sepolcro di Ferdinando III contiene quelli di sei gran duchi della casa Medici.

Il cavaliere Pietro Benvenuti ha avuto dal regnante gran duca l'incarico di dipingere la cupola di questa celebre cappella. Annessa a questo bel tempio sta la rinomata libreria Medioeo-Laurenziana, che contiene i codici in lingue orientali, greci, latini ed italiani, raccolti dalla magnificenza medicea, e dagli altri gran duchi.

John XXIII, but renounced his title to bring peace to the church and later died, privately, in Florence. The external part of the church is decorated by statues and has three bronze doors of extreme beauty. That on the right is by Andrea Pisano, whilst the other two are by Lorenzo Ghilberti and depict various episodes in the New and Old Testaments.

The middle door was judged by Michelangelo to be fit for Paradise. To the side of this door are two porphyry columns, a gift to the Florentines from the Pisans, returning from the conquest of the Balearic Islands. An ancient gnomon illustrated by the famous Father Ximenes may be found in this church.

The foundations of the remarkable Basilica of S.Lorenzo were consecrated by Saint Ambrose. The church itself was restored many times until it was burnt to the ground in 1423. The actual hard sandstone building by Brunellesco was commissioned by Cosimo de Medici and contains may precious art objects.

It is about 144 metres long and 36 wide and has three naves, each of which is about 60 metres long. Next to this church is the Deposti Chapel built to contain the ashes of the Medici nobles which are now placed in the crypt. Both this and the marvellous statues which adorn it are the work of Michelangelo.

The stone-encrusted tomb of Grand Duke Ferdinand III may be found in the famous, magnificently rich and unequalled Medici Chapel, placed behind the choir. Other six Medici dukes lie in this chapel, the dome of which was painted by Pietro Benvenuti commissioned by the reigning Grand Duke. Next to this temple stands the well-known Medioevo-Laurenziana library which contains codices in oriental languages, Greek, Latin

   HP