SANT’ELENA UPON ESINO ABBEY  (Serra San Quirico – province of Ancona)
ABBAZIA DI SANT’ELENA SULL’ESINO
  (Serra San Quirico – prov. Ancona)

Next to the confluence of Esinante into Esino stream, lays what is left of Saint Helen abbey (named “St. Helen upon Esino” in most ancient documents). Historians attribute the foundation of the monastery to Saint Romualdus around the period 1009-1010, even though first mention of its existence dates back to 1130; in 1180 the abbey became property of the Camaldolite congregation. A pontifical document dated 1199 lists the congregation possessions, along with privileges and exemptions (42 churches, some castles and villages, cultivated lands, woods, mills, houses and palaces), revealing the remarkable status of this religious institution.
Today’s church structure and the massive quadrangular defence tower are, according to researchers, what has survived of the numerous restoration works carried out throughout the entire XII century. XII century interventions have brought the abbey to its today single-apse structure, with two double-splayed windows and basilica three-aisled plan with crypt (the latter was rebuilt after collapsing in 1925); that involves the sculptures inside and on the portal as well.
The raising of the upper parts of the building, work of the new owners of the abbey, the Camaldolite monks, is generally attributed to 1180. The rooms with brick vaults and stone walls, once used by the monks in various ways, are now housing a restaurant. The most ancient room, with “cross vaults and floor made of large blocks of stone”, should date back to the XI century, and is probably part of the original monastic settlement.
Entirely built with local dark stone, the church is east-oriented and ends with a single large apse (see pic. apse). There are no remarkable decorations on the outside. Only the apse base (up to the height of 2.5 meters) could be pertaining to the earliest  building period with respect to the upper parts. The northern wall, up to the height of four meters, with well-squared stones set in place with one centimetre thick mortar, consistently appears to belong to the same construction period, while the windows (four high and narrow single lancets framed by a cornice in white stone and fired bricks) seem to have been fit in later. Several decorated stones are located in the apse zone, on the southern aisle terminal wall, above the lancet: two of them are engraved with geometrical elements (see pic. single lancet). Above the apse there are also some fired-brick tiles (only one is made of stone), decorated with geometrical and floral motives. The northern side of the church, from the façade to the angle, is 33 step long (see pic. outside) while the apse adds 3 steps to the perimeter; 21 steps is the width of the building. Recently added structures (privately used) are found on the southern side of the church.
The three-aisled internal structure displays several ornamentations, at odds with the external northern side bare and linear style. Access to the monastery is through a door opening onto a small courtyard enclosed by high walls (on the external perimeter wall, what is left possibly of a fortified door overlooking the main road is worth to be examined); the church façade rises above the walls, and is characterized by two buttresses, bell-gable, two lancets of different size and large central round-arched window with a double cornice. Access to the church is through the portal located to the left of the internal courtyard. The portal (see pic. portal) structure displays four ogival cornices diminishing in size, decorated and sculpted. In detail, starting from the outer portal structure, two semi-columns support a dentil decorated arch (very interesting is the left console engraved with vegetable motives and in the centre, a man’s head with beard, moustache and long hair); the second cornice, semi-column shaped, is smooth, without any decoration, and rests on a console carved with vegetable ornaments; the third cornice is rounded and supported by consoles with sculpted eagles; the last arch, the most internal one, is decorated with vine branches; the lintel is so remarkable, raising doubts about its originality: a white stone monolith adorned with two high-relief animal figures facing each other, their heads turned towards their tails, licking themselves; a tapered cross stands between them (the high-relief is of very good technique, but the engraving is rather flat and scarcely detailed, unlike the complex vegetable decorations of the cornices). The outer dentil decorated cornice of the portal  continues along the entire façade all the way north to the buttress, and to the beginning of the monastery annexes, to the south.

The church interior displays very homogeneous style until the chancel zone. There are almost no decorations, except for the good craft cross-shaped capitals on the pillars. Such pillars are coupled to semi-columns supporting the bays between the nave and the aisles. Groin vaults characterize the whole church ceiling.

 
plan - pianta 01 outside - esterno
   
portal - portale   apse - abside   single lancet - monofora

Nei pressi della confluenza dell’Esinante con il torrente Esino, sorge quel che rimane dell’abbazia di S. Elena (che nei più antichi documenti è denominata “S. Elena dell’Esino”). Gli storici attribuiscono a S. Romualdo la fondazione del primo cenobio attorno agli anni 1009-1010, anche se la documentazione menziona per la prima volta questa abbazia nell’anno 1130; nell’anno 1180 passava di proprietà alla congregazione Camaldolese. Un altro documento pontificio dell’anno 1199, assieme a privilegi e esenzioni, ne elencava anche i possessi (42 chiese, alcuni castelli e villaggi, terre coltivate, selve, mulini, case e palazzi), rimarcando la notevole importanza di questo istituto religioso.
Ciò che rimane di quell’epoca, che vide rifacimenti susseguirsi per la durata di tutto il XII secolo, è individuabile, sempre secondo gli studiosi, nell’attuale edificio della chiesa e nel robusto torrione quadrangolare di difesa. Sono gli interventi appunto del XII secolo che hanno determinato l’attuale assetto monoabsidato, con due finestre a doppio strombo e pianta basilicale a tre navate con cripta (riedificata dopo un crollo avvenuto nell’anno 1925), oltre che tutto l’apparato scultoreo conservato all’interno e nel portale.

Si è propensi a riferire al 1180 il completo rialzo delle parti sommatali dell’edificio per opera, appunto, dei nuovi proprietari di Camaldoli.
Le sale, che un tempo erano adibite ai vari ambienti monasteriali, sono attualmente occupate da un ristorante, hanno volte in mattoni e pareti in pietra. L’ambiente monastico più antico, che risalirebbe all’XI secolo, è una sala con “volta a botte e pavimento in grandi blocchi di pietra”, e forse questa parte è proprio quanto rimane del primo insediamento dell’abbazia.
Costruita in pietra locale scura, la chiesa è orientata a est con terminazione a una sola ampia abside (vedi foto abside).
L’esterno non presenta motivi decorativi particolari. Solo lo zoccolo dell'abside potrebbe appartenere a una diversa fase edilizia rispetto all'alzato. Nell’abside la costruzione antica sembra arrivare a circa 2,5 metri di altezza, mentre il resto pare di fattura successiva. La muratura del lato nord presenta uniformità di costruzione fino a circa 4 metri di altezza, con pietre ben squadrate messe in opera fra livelli di malta dello spessore di un centimetro circa, mentre le finestre, quattro monofore alte e strette con cornice in pietra bianca e cotto, sembrano di esecuzione successiva. Nella zona absidale, sul muro di terminazione della navata meridionale, sopra la monofora, sono inserite alcune pietre decorate, due con motivi geometrici a stella e una a croce con due uomini (vedi foto monofora). Nella zona sopra l’abside sono inoltre murate delle piastrelle in cotto (solo una è in pietra), decorate a motivi geometrico-floreali. Il lato settentrionale della chiesa (vedi foto esterno), misura, dalla facciata all’angolo, 33 passi, mentre il catino absidale si aggiunge al perimetro per 3 passi; 21 passi è la misura della larghezza dell'edificio. Strutture edilizie di più recente costruzione si addossano al fianco meridionale della chiesa (ora adibite ad utilizzo privata).
L’interno a tre navate, diversamente dal lato nord esterno, spoglio e lineare, presenta diversi motivi decorativi. Si accede alla struttura conventuale attraverso una porta che dà su un piccolo cortile interno chiuso da alti muri (notare anche i resti, sul muro perimetrale esterno, di una probabile porta fortificata affacciantesi sulla strada principale), sovrastati dalla facciata della chiesa con campanile a vela e due monofore di diversa dimensione per le campane, ampia finestra centrale a tutto sesto con doppia cornice centrata da due contrafforti.
L’ingresso all’edificio ecclesiale si trova sul lato sinistro del cortile interno. Il portale di accesso alla chiesa (vedi foto portale) è a sesto acuto su quattro cornici strombate, scolpito e decorato: a partire dall’esterno, due semicolonne sostengono un arco decorato a dentelli (particolare è la mensola di sinistra scolpita con motivi vegetali e con al centro la testa di un uomo barbuto, baffuto e con i capelli lunghi); la seconda cornice a semicolonna priva di decorazioni poggia su una mensola ornata a motivi vegetali; la terza cornice, arrotondata, è sostenuta da mensoline con delle aquile scolpite; l’ultima cornice, la più interna, è decorata con motivi a tralci di vite; notevole, se fosse originale, l’architrave: un blocco monolitico di color bianco con scolpiti ad altorilievo due animali affrontati con le teste volte verso la coda, che si leccano, inframmezzati da una croce rastremata (l’altorilievo è di buona esecuzione, ma l’incisione risulta priva di dettagli, piatta, al contrario delle decorazioni vegetali delle cornici). La cornice esterna a dentelli del portale, prosegue orizzontalmente lungo la facciata: verso nord fino al contrafforte e verso sud fino all’attacco con l'edificio conventuale.
L’interno si presenta molto uniforme fino alla zona presbiteriale.
Non ci sono decorazioni tranne per i capitelli dei pilastri cruciformi che risultano di buona esecuzione. Questi pilastri compositi presentano delle semicolonne per sostegno agli archi di divisione tra la navata centrale e le laterali. La chiesa è coperta da volte a crociera.

 continua >>>

  HP Map